Florence Slip & Fall Attorneys
Premises Liability Cases
Slip and fall or trip and fall accidents and injuries can be generally classified as “premises liability” cases. These types of injury cases arise when a property owner or custodian of property is negligent in the maintenance, upkeep, and repair of the property that is in question. Many states have laws that require landowners to maintain their property so that it does not present an unreasonable risk of harm or injury to those that are visitors of the property. These premise liability laws often pertain to both business owners and homeowners.
Call McCutcheon & Hamner at (256) 333-5000 today to speak to our slip and fall lawyers in Florence.
Defining Premises Liability Cases
In Alabama, business owners have a responsibility to provide a safe environment to persons who use their premises. That responsibility includes but is not limited to, keeping the property aisles clear, maintaining passageways and floors in a reasonably safe condition, and making a reasonable effort to keep the business location free of any hazardous conditions.
Premise liability cases can include:
- Slip and fall incidents which can be caused by unsafe property conditions
- Slip and falls at commercial establishments which can be caused by liquids or foreign substances
- Assaults by employees or other business patrons, construction site accidents, business owners, and property owners that have a duty to provide a safe environment for individuals on their premises
If you or a family member are injured because a property owner or a business establishment has failed to provide a safe environment, you may have a right to bring a claim for damages that have been incurred due to your injury. In Alabama, these damages include pain and suffering, medical expenses, and lost wages.
What to do if you are involved in a Slip and Fall Case
If you or a family member are injured because a property owner or a business establishment has failed to provide a safe environment, you may have a right to bring a claim for damages that have been incurred due to your injury. In Alabama, those damages include pain and suffering, medical expenses, and lost wages.
If you or a family member have been involved in a slip and fall or trip and fall accident, you should:
- Avoid offering any detailed statements concerning fault
- Gather any names of owners and managers of property where accident occurred
- Write down names and phone numbers of any witnesses to accident or injury
- Take good pictures of accident scene and injuries
- Save footwear and clothing you were wearing when incident occurred
- Seek immediate medical attention if injured
- Do not give any recorded statements to insurance adjusters
In most instances, in the state of Alabama, the owner of the premises has in place insurance coverage to pay for any injuries or accidents that occur on their property, but only if the owner has liability for the dangerous condition that leads to the injury. It is very important to remember that immediately after an accident or injury, the insurance company is gathering evidence to prove the premises owner not responsible.
How Can McCutcheon and Hamner Help in a Premises Liability Case?
It is very important for the injured person to be on a “level playing field” with the insurance company. Please call McCutcheon and Hamner at 256-333-5000 to schedule a free initial consultation or fill out our online contact form. The sooner we can begin to investigate and gather evidence on your behalf, the better!