Click Here If You’ve Suffered Health Issues Due To Water Contamination

Credit Card Billing Errors

December 12, 2022

By Thomas McCutcheon

Q: There is an error on my credit card bill, what can I do?


A: Fortunately, there is a federal law known as the Fair Credit Billing Act which provides an avenue for relief for those who are charged wrongly, incorrectly, or unfairly. Under the Fair Credit Billing Act, you must notify that creditor of the error promptly (within 60 days of first receiving said notice). You should contact the creditor by telephone, email, or writing as soon as you see the error and explain the error to ensure the triggering of the protections of this law.

Your letter (which you should send by certified mail) should contain your name and the account number on which the error took place. Your belief as to the specific billing error and the amount of the errors, and the reasons why this is in error (never charged, wrong amount charged, double billing, etc.)

The good news is that a creditor cannot harm or threaten to harm your credit rating during the pendency of the particular dispute. If you have a dispute, you can use a federal law known as the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act of 2003 (FACTA) that provides that consumers have free access to their credit reports and the revealing of their credit scores.

Consumers can also receive their credit scores from companies such as Experian, Trans Union, and Equifax.

It’s a good idea to use your right to a yearly, free credit report to review your credit history and ensure there are no discrepancies or suspicious activity.

If you find information that is not accurate on your credit report, you can notify the reporting agency under the Fair Credit Reporting Act. This Act generally gives consumers the right to make a statement explaining the consumer’s side of the dispute.

Buckle up, drive safely, and as always, your referrals are appreciated!


Let Us Fight For You

Your Recovery Is Our Priority

Why Hire Us?